Saturday, December 13, 2014

Why My Coworker is an Extraterrestrial

I know a weirdo when I see one. My family is riddled with talented outcasts, but my coworker is definitely not like the others.

She's been working here for about two months now and has already been promoted twice. It took me two years to get promoted just once. I tried to consider that she must be sleeping with my boss, but my boss is married, and she has two kids.

This girl is just really good at everything- to the point where it's almost unfair. She picks up on things really well. You only have to explain to her once how to do something, and after that she's an expert. She'll watch you so intently the first time, like she's taking mental notes of every muscle movement and every step of the process. She just gets it. She can't be of this world.

I checked her Facebook and nothing exists of her before three months ago. Same goes for the rest of her social media profiles. She doesn't even have a cellphone. Who doesn't have a phone in this day and age? She doesn't own a watch either, but for some reason always knows the time.

One incident occurred just last week. I had just gotten to work, and she had apparently been there all day. Someone asked for the time, and she stared at the food she was preparing and said, "Seventeen-eleven." I looked at the clock on the wall, which couldn't have been visible from where she was standing and in fact, the time read 5:11. Nobody thought much of it, but I thought it was bizarre.

The store also has tile floors, each tile a couple inches on each side. She never steps on the cracks. She never even trips and happens to accidentally land on the lines. Her rhythm is just that good and she's so in sync with everything. I asked her about it once, and she just said, "I don't want to fall in." I laughed, but she was serious.

Her reflexes are great, too. I used to think mine were impressive, but she puts me to shame. When an object falls, she doesn't even have to turn her head to catch it. She just grabs it and puts it back, never looking up. Afterwards, she'll suspiciously look around, almost making sure nobody saw. Usually nobody ever does see, but once she caught me catching her. She looked at me with a look of horror and embarrassment rather than confidence and pride. It was like I had caught her with her hand in the cookie jar. Except... the emotion on her face made me uncomfortable. I was overcome with something like guilt. I almost felt sorry for seeing. When I went home that night, I didn't feel sorry anymore. Instead, I was confused as to why I was sorry in the first place. But she does that to you.

She never speaks unless she's spoken to either. It's not a matter of being antisocial, though. It's literally like she can't hear you unless you invite her into the conversation. But then once you do she knows exactly what you're talking about, and more. She knows exactly what you're going to say before you even say it. It's a one sided conversation, and she's narrating both her thoughts and yours.

She can hear everything, too. She hears things we can't. She knows when my other coworkers come back from their pizza deliveries. She knows what customers are going to order before they tell her. She starts doing tasks before we tell her to. Today, I was going to ask her to restock, only to discover that she had already started doing so. Some of us have jokingly asked her if she's psychic, and she responded with, "I knew you were going to ask that."

Now, I know these things all seem like simple coincidences, but there are other things too that aren't can't be so easily dismissed.

For example, her first week working here she warned one of the drivers not to take the freeway because of an anticipated accident. He ignored her and went on the freeway anyways. He called in a few minutes after he was dispatched, he was all choked up because the car in front of him had gone off the road and caused a massive wreck. Luckily, he wasn't injured, but it was going to be a while until he got back to the store. My boss confronted my coworker about her prophesy, but after they spoke together, neither of them brought it up again. It was like it was erased from my boss's memory or something.

She's extraordinarily different. She's superhuman. I've tried bringing up my suspicions with other coworkers, but they insisted we change the subject right away. She has implemented some kind of fear among everyone. I'm afraid to discuss this with anyone. If I confront her, surely she'll brainwash me too. But by staying quiet, has she not already brainwashed me? Did I ever tell you about the time I got bit by a squirrel?

No comments:

Post a Comment